How To OPTIMIZE Google Blogger For SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is crucial for driving organic traffic to your website or blog.
With over 1.7 billion websites online today, you need to optimize your content properly to rank higher in search engines like Google.
This comprehensive guide will teach you how to optimize your Google Blogger site for SEO.
We’ll cover important on-page and off-page optimization best practices to improve your Blogger SEO. Let’s get started!
Why SEO Is Important For Your Blogger Site
Here are some key reasons why you need to optimize your Blogger site for search engines:
- SEO helps people find your content through search engines like Google. Over 90% of online experiences begin with a search engine.
- Higher rankings lead to more visitors, leads, and customers for your business or blog.
- Good SEO improves click-through rates from search engines to your site.
- Optimized content keeps visitors on your site for longer. This reduces bounce rates.
- Your site will rank higher than competitors who don’t optimize their blogs for SEO.
In short, SEO is necessary to grow your readership and get your content seen by more people online.
On-Page SEO Optimization Tips For Blogger
On-page SEO refers to optimizations you make directly on your blog pages and posts. This includes your content, HTML tags, URL structure, media, and more.
Follow these on-page SEO tips for your Blogger site:
Use Relevant Keywords In Your Content
- Research keyword demand and competition first using tools like Google Keyword Planner.
- Incorporate the primary keyword naturally in your:
- Page title
- Headings (H1, H2 tags)
- Image file names and ALT text
- Meta description
- URL slug
- First 100 words of content
- Throughout the body content
- Write long-form, useful content over 2000 words optimized with related long-tail keywords.
- Include keywords in URLs of posts for better click-through rates.
Optimize Title Tags
<title> tag is displayed as the clickable link in search engines so optimize it with:
- Primary keyword target first, followed by your brand name.
- Keep it under 70 characters – longer titles will get cut off.
- Use compelling, benefit-driven copy to attract more clicks.
Use Meta Descriptions
Meta descriptions summarize page content and appear in search engine result pages (SERPs).
- Incorporate primary keyword and key secondary words.
- Write compelling snippets 150-160 characters long to boost CTR.
- Add Meta descriptions to all pages and posts. Google will auto-generate unfavorable ones if you don’t.
Optimize Images Properly
- Name image files using primary keywords like “keyword-example-image.jpg”.
- Always include concise, keyword-rich ALT text for each image.
- Compress images to improve page load times.
- Use media like images, graphics and videos in posts to make them more engaging.
Improve Site Architecture
- Use a simple, logical site structure and internal linking.
- Make sure subpages are no more than 3 clicks away from home page.
- Set up a separate category page and tag archives page to optimize taxonomy pages.
- Interlink related content across your site for better crawlability.
- Only host high-quality content – thin or duplicate content hurts SEO.
Enhance User Experience
- Improve site speed and mobile optimization for better user experience.
- Make website navigation intuitive and user-friendly.
- Format content for easy scanning with headers, lists and highlighted text.
- Enable breadcrumb navigation.
- Include social sharing buttons to encourage shares.
Copy The Robots.Txt Code Below
Create XML Sitemap
An XML sitemap lists all the pages on your site for search engine crawlers.
Blogger automatically generates a sitemap.xml file whenever you publish a new post. Just submit this to Google Search Console for better indexing.
Off-Page SEO Techniques For Blogger
Off-page SEO focuses on building popularity for your blog through external websites to earn quality backlinks. This signals search engines that your content is valuable.
Here are effective off-page SEO tactics for your Blogger website:
Get Backlinks From Authority Sites
- Build natural links from high-authority websites related to your niche.
- Guest post on authoritative blogs in your industry to earn backlinks – make sure guest posts are allowed.
- Comment on blogs and forums relevant to your target keywords to get links. Add value with your comments.
- Pitch infographic submissions to top websites; most will link back to you as the creator.
- Join industry directories like Crunchbase and get links to your Blogger profile.
Promote Your Content
- Share your new posts on social media frequently to drive traffic.
- Join relevant LinkedIn Groups and Facebook Groups to share content. Check group rules first.
- Answer relevant questions on Quora and Reddit subs related to your topics. Include links to your posts as helpful resources for readers.
- Promote your best performing pieces periodically on social media to revive traffic.
- Email subscribers whenever you publish new content.
Getting credible reputable sites to link to you lends credibility and improves your own domain authority. Some ways to build authority includes:
- Getting interviewed as an industry expert by journalists from reputable publications.
- Conducting webinars or podcasts as a thought leader.
- Publishing on reputable sites as a guest contributor.
- Speaking at conferences or events.
The more high-quality domains link to your Blogger site, the more authority passes to your domain.
Tactically Build Links
- Identify competitor links and reach out to webmasters to request getting listed too. Make sure they are relevant quality sites.
- Find broken link opportunities (404 errors) on authority pages and suggest relevant content from your site as a replacement.
- Sponsor or donate to charities and nonprofit events; many will add your Blogger URL to their partners/sponsors lists.
Blogger SEO Plugins To Use
Blogger has a simple interface so you don’t need too many plugins. But these SEO tools can help optimize your Blogger blog:
Yoast SEO is a popular WordPress plugin but they also have a Blogger-optimized version. It adds:
- Readability analysis to optimize content.
- XML sitemaps functionality.
- Canonical tag management.
- Meta tag optimization.
All In One SEO Pack
This packs several SEO features including:
- Meta tag management.
- Built-in content analysis.
- XML sitemap integration.
- SEO automation.
SEO Metadata Plugin
With this plugin you can:
- Customize title tags.
- Manage meta descriptions better.
- Dynamically insert keywords.
Try combining a few different SEO plugins to get all the functionality you need.
Search Console Settings For Blogger
Google Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools) is free and gives valuable insights into your site’s SEO health.
Here are key things to do in Search Console for your Blogger site:
- Submit XML sitemap so Google can fully index all your pages.
- Request indexing of new content that takes over a week to crawl.
- See clicks, impressions and position for keywords ranking in Google.
- Identify and fix crawl errors preventing pages from being indexed.
- Disavow spammy links negatively impacting rankings, if any.
- See manual actions and fix SEO violations flagged by Google.
- Monitor site performance – uptime, traffic, pagination errors, etc.
Check Search Console weekly to catch any major issues early.
Blogger SEO Tips Recap
Optimizing your Blogger site for search engines takes work but is worth it driving ongoing organic traffic to your blog.
Here’s a quick recap of key SEO tips covered in this guide:
- Research target keywords properly before creating any content.
- Include keywords judiciously in titles, headers, URLs, meta descriptions, alt text, content, etc.
- Create useful, long-form content over 2000 words optimized with related long-tail keywords.
- Improve site architecture with simple navigation and internal linking.
- Optimize page speed and mobile experience.
- Build high-quality backlinks from authority sites in your niche to improve domain authority.
- Promote your new content through social media, outreach, PR, etc.
- Install Blogger SEO plugins like Yoast to optimize on-page elements.
- Submit sitemap to Google Search Console and monitor frequently.
- Follow SEO best practices continually – it’s an ongoing process.
Focus on creating awesome content that adds value for readers first. SEO comes second. With the right keywords, optimization and promotion your content will gradually rank higher in Google.
Hopefully this detailed guide gives you the perfect SEO blueprint to boost your Blogger’s search engine rankings and organic visibility!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for SEO to work?
It takes consistent work over an extended period to see significant SEO results. Expect to wait 3-6 months before moving up in competitive keyword rankings, more for ultra-competitive ones.
But you should see a gradual upward trend in non-competitive keywords and traffic within 1-2 months if you optimize properly.
What are long-tail keywords?
Long-tail keywords are more specific multi-word keyword phrases like “Blogger SEO guide” rather than just the single keyword “SEO”. They are easier to rank for as they have lower competition. Optimizing for long-tails is an important part of an effective SEO strategy.
Is SEO free?
Yes, all the on-page optimization tips covered above like keyword research, content creation, meta tags, site architecture, etc. can be implemented for free on your own.
The only costs are optional paid tools that can help with initial keyword research, rank tracking, etc. But free alternatives exist. Off-page SEO like content promotion and link-building can also be done largely for free.
How much text should be on a page for SEO?
According to multiple studies, pages over 2000 words long tend to rank better. But ultra-long posts with fluff content hurt readability. Aim for long-form posts between 2000-4000 words, with over 80% of the content providing value to readers. Include related long-tail keywords throughout naturally.
Do image captions help with SEO?
Yes, Google indexes the content inside image captions and alt text. So you should always fill out image captions and alt text with relevant keywords and descriptive text. Don’t stuff keywords though – keep the text natural.